- This is a detailed protocol for preparing Streptococcus pneumoniae and intranasal colonization of mice.
- Citation: Thevaranjan N, et al. Streptococcus pneumoniae Colonization Disrupts the Microbial Community within the Upper Respiratory Tract of Aging Mice.Infect Immun. 2016 Mar 24;84(4):906-16. doi: 10.1128/IAI.01275-15.
Nasopharyngeal colonization, and measurement of gene expression and leukocyte recruitment in the nasopharynx.
For a detailed protocol, see our paper here…
Puchta A, Verschoor CP, Thurn T, Bowdish DM. Characterization of inflammatory responses during intranasal colonization with Streptococcus pneumoniae. J Vis Exp. 2014 Jan 17;(83):e50490. doi: 10.3791/50490.
- This protocol uses CFSE to label S. pneumoniae for flow cytometry or microscopy experiments.
- This protocol describes how to purify the pneumococcal cell wall. The purified preparation will not contain proteins but will contain the peptidoglycan layer and teichoic acids.
- This assay is sensitive to mannose from 1 – 100 𝜇g but will also detect other carbohydrates. We use this assay to quantify of complex carbohydrates in the bacterial cell wall