Major projects in the Bowdish lab:
- Understanding the origins of healthy/unhealthy aging.
- Elucidating how the aging gut microbiome contributes to age-associated inflammation
- Uncovering how age-associated inflammation alters the maturation and function of monocytes and macrophages and how these changes increase susceptibility to pneumonia.
- Discovering how age-related changes in the upper respiratory microbiota contribute to susceptibility to pneumonia
- Developing novel strategies to prevent pneumonia in vulnerable populations
- Characterizing the role of the macrophage scavenger receptors in host defence